WINDOW ROCK, Ariz. (AP) -- Federal officials partially restored funding for the Navajo Nation's Head Start program, which was suspended after the tribe was accused of failing to do employee background checks.
The decision frees up $9.2 million dollars for the Early Head Start program, which has a summer session scheduled to start Wednesday.
The Administration for Children and Families told tribal officials earlier this month that they were prohibited from using money earmarked for its Head Start and Early Head Start programs. Authorities said the tribe failed to perform background checks and that an investigation turned up dozens of employees with criminal records.
Navajo Nation President Joe Shirley Jr. said the partial lift demonstrates the federal government is recognizing the steps the tribe is taking ''to correct a big problem.''
The remaining funding for the Head Start program will be suspended until the Navajo Nation implements its corrective action plan, which Shirley submitted to the federal government May 8.